Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Pride Month (LGBT+ Pride Month) is celebrated each June to commemorate the Stonewall Riots which occurred in 1969 in New York City. This five-day uprising by LGBT+ community members against police brutality is acknowledged as a turning point in the fight against anti-gay discrimination; it is also widely considered to be the birth of the gay rights movement in the United States. June 28, 2019 marks the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots. The anniversary is marked each year by pride parades, picnics, workshops and historical tributes, as well as respect for those lost to hate crimes or HIV/AIDS.
At Falvey Memorial Library, our mission is to foster a welcoming and inclusive environment and to make the library a place where all feel welcome. Encouraging the exploration of different viewpoints, we’d like to take this time to remind the Villanova community to search the various LGBTQ+ resources gathered below and in our collections.
Remembering the liberation moment, librarians shared their recommended reading and resources:
Sarah Wingo, Librarian for English Literature, Theatre, and Romance Languages and Literature
- The Digital Transgender Archive (online resource)
- Pride: Photographs after Stonewall (e-book)
- Pride Parades: How a Parade Changed the World (e-book)
Darren Poley, Theology, Classics and Humanities Librarian
- LGBT Magazine Archive (Digital archive of the most influential LGBT+ news resources)
- LGBTQ Thought and Culture (The essential works and archival documents of the global LGBTQ movement)
Susan Turkel, Sociology & Criminology, Global Interdisciplinary Studies, and Gender & Women’s Studies Librarian
- Falvey books and DVDs on the topic of the Stonewall Uprising
- Gender Studies Database (Articles from scholarly and popular sources on Stonewall and the gay rights movement)
- GenderWatch (Articles from non-mainstream magazines and newspapers, dating back to the 1970s, as well as scholarly articles and books)
Click here for information about the various LGBTQ+ groups at Villanova University as well as to read and contribute to the resources gathered on the Diversity and Inclusion Subject Guide.
(This blog is was originally published June 20, 2018, in a slightly altered form.)
Boeckman, J., Cracuin, C. & Goldberg, A., (June 15, 2018). LGBT pride month a time to celebrate, bring awareness. The News Press. Retrieved from https://www.news-press.com/story/opinion/contributors/2018/06/15/lgbt-pride-month-time-celebrate-bring-awareness/701381002/
Thomas, G.; (June, 2013) History of pride month. FEW’s News; Alexandria, Vol. 45, Iss. 5, (Jun 2013). Retrieved from https://search.proquest.com/docview/1415379907/fulltext/54F38FC0B5FD4163PQ/1?accountid=14853
Photo by Lee Snider/Depositphotos.com
Joanne Quinn ’15 MA, ’84 CLAS is Director of Communication and Marketing at Falvey Memorial Library.