Advent Calendar Cookbook—Day 6: Slow Cooker Apple Butter
Recipe submitted by Chris Hallberg, Library Technology Developer
- 5 lbs. apples Any variety works fine! (I use gala).
- 1 cup brown sugar packed.
- 1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon.
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg.
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves.
- 2 dashes salt.
- Start with 5 pounds of apples. You can use any variety; I use gala.
- Peel, core, slice five pounds of apples and add to a 6-quart or larger slow cooker.
- Add the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt.
- Stir to coat the apples with the seasonings and brown sugar.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 5 hours or LOW for 8-10 hours.
- When the cooking time is up, place the apple butter into a blender and place on the lid. Also, place a towel over the top of the cover in case the blender lid leaks. Hold the lid and pulse until smooth. Or, if you have an immersion blender, place it right into the slow cooker and blend until smooth. OR use an immersion blender right in the slow cooker to blend the apple butter.
For more tips, view the recipe here.