Advent Calendar Cookbook—Day 21: Green Bean Casserole
Recipe submitted by Sarah Wingo, Librarian for English Literature, Theatre, and Romance Languages & Literature
“Make a béchamel sauce out of the butter used to sauté mushrooms, then bake with green beans and fried onions in a casserole dish for about an hour.”
- About 2 lbs frozen green beans.
- About 2 lbs mushrooms (cremini, or white).
- About 3 cloves garlic.
- 1 package (6 oz) crispy fried onions.
- 2-4 Tbs butter.
- 1-3 Tbs flour.
- 1 cup heavy cream.
- 1 cup chicken stock.
- Dash of salt.
- Dash of pepper.
- Dash of nutmeg.
- Thaw 2 lb frozen green beans (and drain).
- Mince 3 cloves garlic.
- Wash and drain 2 lb mushrooms. Slice the mushrooms or just break them up by hand while draining.
- Sauté mushrooms in 2-4 Tbs butter. (The mushrooms will soak up the butter, then release it again after a few minutes).
- Add 3 cloves garlic (minced).
- Sprinkle with salt and sweat until translucent.
- Add 1-3 Tbs flour. Stir and continue heating to make a roux.
- Add 1 cup heavy cream and 1 cup chicken stock. Reduce heat slightly and stir to make a sauce (If it’s a little too thin, reduce heat and simmer until it reduces somewhat).
- Add salt (not too much, the fried onions are salty), pepper, and a little bit of nutmeg.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine mushrooms and sauce with green beans in a casserole dish.
- Mix in a quarter to one third of the fried onions, spread the remainder on top.
- Bake, covered, for about an hour.