By Darren Poley
The COVID-19 pandemic has caused a sea change in the desire for online access to books previously only available in a physical format. Print books are still an important part of any academic library collection, but researchers have discovered the advantages of e-books.
Bloomsbury is a publisher of books in the areas of theology and religion, which has been acquiring the ability to make accessible many books, by several publishers, which were previously not available in an online format. Part of this initiative was to create the Theology and Religion Online (TARO) platform for e-books.
As with all e-books in Falvey Library’s collection, those on the TARO platform and in the modules listed below are accessible to Villanova students and faculty via Falvey’s online catalog. Each individual e-book is cataloged with a unique link to just that one book.
Nevertheless, awareness of the availability of these e-book collections is important, so those acquired from Bloomsbury for Theology and Religious Studies are in the spotlight here.
The collections which Falvey now has access on the TARO platform are:
- Anchor Yale Bible Commentaries
- Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary
- Bloomsbury Religion in North America Collection
- Library of Catholic Thought
- T&T Clark Jesus Library
- T&T Clark Theology Library
It is worth noting that the Anchor Yale Bible Commentaries span over 86 volumes and is one of the most trusted and long-running scholarly commentaries series; The Library of Catholic Thought has in it the New American Bible Revised Edition and The Jerome Biblical Commentary for the Twenty-First Century online; and Bloomsbury Religion in North America covers the basics, including e-books under the heading of study skills.
In addition to TARO, Falvey now also has access to Bloomsbury’s online collections for theology books published 2013-2022, and e-book access to many books on Religion and Theology published by I.B. Tauris, such as:
- Biblical Studies & Theology Archive
- Religion & Theology 2016-2018
- Religious Studies Archive 1993-2015
Many of the online collections to which Falvey now provides access were the result of Bloomsbury working with publishers to digitize older books previously not available in the online format.
See for example:
- Religious Studies Landmark Texts (Bloomsbury Academic Collections)
- Biblical Studies Landmark Texts (Bloomsbury Academic Collections)
- Christian Doctrines Archive 1988-2013
- Pauline Studies Archive 1984-2012
- Christology Archive 1982-2011
- International Critical Commentary 1901-2014
Darren G. Poley is Associate Director of Research Services and Scholarly Engagement, and Theology, Humanities & Classical Studies Librarian at Falvey Memorial Library.