Advent Calendar Cookbook—Day 2: Creamed Brussels Sprouts with Pine Nuts
Recipe submitted by Darren Poley, Theology & Religious Studies; Humanities & Classical Studies Librarian
- 14-inch heavy skillet with lid.
- Wooden spoon.
- 2 quart serving dish with lid.
- Serving spoon.
- 3 Tablespoons butter (or cut one half of a stick of butter into thirds).
- ½ Cup pine nuts (or one 2 oz. bag).
- 1½ Pounds fresh brussels sprouts (or two 12 oz bags). Trim stems and halve.
- 1 Cup low-salt chicken broth (or one half of 14.5 oz can of chicken broth).
- 2 Shallots minced (or one bunch of 6-8 small green onions. Trim roots and dark green stems and mince white and light green bottoms).
- 1 Tablespoon (or two 0.25 oz boxes) fresh marjoram, chopped.
- 1/3 Cup heavy whipping cream (or one pint of light cream).
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- Add nuts and stir until golden, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer nuts to small bowl.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in same skillet over medium heat.
- Add sprouts; stir 1 minute.
- Add broth; cover and simmer until sprouts are almost tender, about 7 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer until broth evaporates, about 5 more minutes.
- Using wooden spoon, push sprouts to sides of skillet. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in center of same skillet.
- Add shallots; sauté until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in marjoram, then cream.
- Simmer until Brussels sprouts are coated with cream, stirring frequently, about 4 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Above can be done 4 hours ahead. Just cover and chill. Then stir over medium heat to rewarm.
- Transfer warm Brussels sprouts mixture to serving platter.
- Mix in half of pine nuts.
- Sprinkle remaining pine nuts on top.