Advent Calendar Cookbook—Day 15: Cheesy Overnight Hash Brown and Egg Casserole
Recipe submitted by Meg Schwoerer-Leister, Access & Collections Coordinator
In a 9×13 pan (greased):
- 1 (30 oz.) package frozen shredded hash browns.
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes (potatoes should be lightly browned and tender). Let cool.
- 1-½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese.
- 1-½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese.
- 1-½ cup bacon (cooked and broken into pieces) – can substitute ham cubes or sausage crumbles.
- Layer evenly over cooled potatoes (gently toss to mix cheeses and bacon).
- Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
Whisk these ingredients in a bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight:
- 8 large eggs.
- 1-1/3 cup light cream.
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt.
- ¼ teaspoon salt.
- ½ teaspoon pepper.
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard powder (optional).
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder (optional).
The next day, whisk egg mixture again and pour evenly over the potatoes, cheese, and bacon. It will soak in. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes–edges will start to brown, but make sure that center is not wobbly. If it is, cover pan with foil and cook for a few more minutes until center is firm.