Advent Calendar Cookbook—Day 11: Vegan Molasses Cookies
Recipe submitted by Luisa Cywinski, Director of Access Services
- 2/3 c vegetable oil.
- ¼ c blackstrap molasses.
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds whisked into 3 tbsp warm water.
- 1 c brown sugar.
- 2 c flour.
- ½ tsp salt.
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon.
- 1 tsp ground cloves.
- 1 tsp ground ginger.
- 1 tsp baking soda.
- ½ c crystallized ginger, diced.
- Granulated sugar for coating.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Whisk together oil, molasses, flax seeds mixed with water, and brown sugar. In a separate bowl, sift together remaining ingredients (except for crystallized ginger and granulated sugar).
- Combine wet and dry ingredients; mix well.
- Fold in crystallized ginger. Refrigerate, covered, until firm, about 1 hour. (It’s fine if some oil separates; you can just stir it back in later.)
- Shape cookie dough into 1″ balls, and roll in sugar to coat. Bake for ~6 minutes on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Yield: about 2½ dozen 2″ cookies.
Recipe via Vegan Cooking Blog by Claryn.