Dig Deeper: This Earth Week, Get to Know Keynote Speaker Katharine Hayhoe
By Shawn Proctor and Merrill Stein
During Earth Week, Villanova is fortunate to host climate scientist Katharine Hayhoe, PhD, as she delivers the keynote, “Christians, Climate, and our Culture in the US.” The talk will speak to the misconception that religion and science must occupy opposing sides of the topic of climate change.
In the last half-century, the average global temperature has risen faster than ever before in recorded history. This trend has reshaped our planet. It represents a looming threat to our planet’s future.
Dr. Hayhoe, endowed Professor in Public Policy and Public Law and Co-Director of the Climate Center at Texas Tech University, uses her evangelical Christian faith to inform her work and how she talks with those who would challenge her research.
Before she delivers her keynote on April 22 at 5:30 p.m., dig deeper to learn more about Dr. Hayhoe and her work, which has been cited more than 7,000 times, according to Scopus (Elsevier).
Prior registration for this ACS-approved event is required.
Read Dr. Hayhoe’s books featuring her research:
- Climate Change: How Tackling Climate Change Can Build Community, Transform the Economy, and Bridge the Political Divide in America, published by Andreas Karelas in 2020, available as an e-book in Falvey’s Collection.
- Saving Us: A Climate Scientist’s Case for Hope and Healing in a Divided World, forthcoming in September.
Listen to her talk on her podcast Global Weirding.
Lastly, read articles about Dr. Hayhoe and her work:
- (March 3, 2021 Wednesday). Glasgow Calling: In a crucial year for climate, The Nature Conservancy appoints renowned climate scientist and communicator Professor Katharine Hayhoe. Impact News Service.
- Daisy Dunne. (March 7, 2021 Sunday). Women must not be sidelined in climate crisis talks, says scientist Katharine Hayhoe. The Independent (United Kingdom).
- Dana Nuccitelli. (August 28, 2017 Monday). Study: Katharine Hayhoe is successfully convincing doubtful evangelicals about climate change; A new study finds that a lecture from evangelical climate scientist Katharine Hayhoe successfully educates evangelical college students, validating the “trusted sources” approach. The Guardian (London).
- Steve Hanley. (January 9, 2019 Wednesday). Red, Green, and Blue.
- Back in 2003 – Colin Perkel. (April 8, 2003 Tuesday). Climate change will have dramatic impact on Ontario, study concludes. The Canadian Press (CP).
Shawn Proctor is Communications and Marketing Program Manager at Falvey Memorial Library. Select resources curated by Merrill Stein, Social Sciences Librarian at Falvey Memorial Library.
0 Comments »
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI