The Highlighter: Black Villanova Oral History Project
Welcome to “The Highlighter,” where we’ll be exploring the various new and old services and resources available through the Falvey!
Did you know that Falvey has a digital library? Did you know that it hosts various exhibits? Did you know that one of those exhibits is a Black Villanova Oral History Project? Well now you know all those things!
On Wednesday, Nov. 15, Falvey Memorial Library will be co-sponsoring a talk by Tom Mogan, Dean of Students at Boston College, tilted “The Social Significance of Villanova Athletes During the Civil Rights Movement.” Mogan’s dissertation on the same topic formed the foundation for the digital library page as it exists today.
This week’s highlighter is about bringing some of these resources to you in preparation for that event:
- The Digital Library Page: Black Villanova Oral History Project
- One of the exhibit’s histories on Dr. Edward Collymore, ’59; it is, as far as I can tell, the earliest oral record on the page.
- Another of the exhibit’s histories: Normadene Murphy, ’76 – the only woman to feature on the page.
- Mogan’s dissertation, titled “The Limits to Catholic Racial Liberalism: The Villanova Encounter with Race, 1940-1985.”
- A couple of pertinent news stories from the Washington Post and the Daily News. accessible via ProQuest Newsstream.
Article by William Repetto, a graduate assistant in the Communication and Marketing Dept. at the Falvey Memorial Library. He is currently pursuing an MA in English at Villanova University.
1 Comment »
RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI
Sharing some of the recognition I have received as the first Black female on campus graduating from the College of Nursing in 1970:
Leading Care: Dr Gloria McNeal and National University San Diego. Villanova University News and Archives. Feb 18, 2020 Accessed at: https://www1.villanova.edu/villanova/nursing/newsevents/archives/Leading-Care-Dr-Gloria-McNeal-and-the-National-University-San-Diego.html
Six Deans who lead the way. Villanova Nursing Magazine Summer 2020, Vol 39, No 1, pg 21 Accessed at: https://www1.villanova.edu/content/dam/villanova/nursing/documents/Magazinefiles/VillanovaNursing_2020_singles.pdf