’Cat in the Stacks: Five Things to Look Forward to this Semester
I’m William Repetto, a second-year graduate student at Villanova University. This is the “’Cat in the Stacks” column. I’m your ’cat. I’ll be posting about college life, about learning and growing here at Villanova, and, of course, about the Falvey Memorial Library’s role.
Third week of the semester already?! I don’t know how it’s possible, Wildcats, but the pages of the calendar seem to turn faster and faster ever onward. We already talked about kitten back to work and about adapting to a little bit of change, but this week – as we settle back into our routines – let’s look forward a little, so we know what this month has in store before it becomes another turned page on another year’s planner.
1. Fall Weather: There’s no denying it, ’Nova Nation, sweater-weather is the best weather of them all. As Labor Day has marked the unofficial end of summer, it will soon be time to put away those athletic shorts and cargos. You’ll have to break out those stylish Villanova sweaters, a few hip hoodies, and hopefully look as good as Hunter does while she’s studying:
2. OneBook Celebration: If you haven’t read this year’s OneBook Villanova selection, “Acts of Faith” by Eboo Patel, I encourage you to drop whatever it is you’re doing right this instant, head over to the Falvey, check out a copy, grab an armchair in the Dugan Polk Family Reading Room, and read until your heart’s content (hint: it won’t be until the book is over, and then you’ll still want to learn more). On Tuesday, Sept. 19, Patel will join us on campus for the OneBook Dinner and a keynote lecture among other events.
3. Pumpkin Spice: Well, according to some, you needn’t wait until fall to have a pumpkin spice treat, but let’s face it; there’s no better time for a PS Latte than late September, and PS muffins seem to bring out the cheer in the early October weather. For those of you who aren’t into trendy flavors (or, indeed, seasonal cheer) there’s always the tried and true flavor of National Chocolate Day on Sept. 13.
4. Godspell: The Villanova Theatre Program impressed us all in spring semester with their excellent rendition of “Little Women.” And who could forget their production at the Abbey Theatre (excellent playwrights on that play, if I understand correctly)? Anyhow! They’re back for a new season, and they’ll be kicking off with a classic – “Godspell” – with a contemporary twist: a gender-blind casting. Opening night will be Sept. 19 at 8pm. If you stay updated with us here on the Falvey blog, you might even catch a review written by yours truly.
5. Football: The beginning of fall in the United States can hardly be discussed without talking about football. It’s a basic truth that we work hard each week in order to reach the weekend. The addition of Eagles (or insert hometown team) football each Sunday only adds spice to an already exciting part of the week. And, if you don’t really understand the rules of the game all that well (like some bloggers for particular library websites), then there’s always the social aspect! And more time with friends is always awesome.
These are five things that we’re all looking forward to! But I’m sure we all have our own various dates circled on the calendar: days of big presentations, tickets to that awesome concert, birthdays, anniversaries, etc. We’d love to know what sorts of things you’re looking forward to this semester! Drop us a line on Twitter or Facebook (or in the comment box below), and we’ll let you know how Falvey can factor into your big day.
Article by William Repetto, a graduate assistant in the Communication and Marketing Dept. at the Falvey Memorial Library. He is currently pursuing an MA in English at Villanova University. (Graphics courtesy of Bitmoji, and Hunter and I spending hours perfecting our representations!)
0 Comments »
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI