2015 Apostolic Journey: Pope Francis in the USA
Wednesday, Sept. 23:
Pope Francis is scheduled to meet with President Obama at the White House.
Meetings between popes and U.S. Presidents:
· Pope Benedict XVI met with President George W. Bush at the White House.
· St. Pope John Paul II met on several occasions with Presidents Carter, Reagan and Clinton
1984 was the first time a U.S. president and pope met outside of the White House or Vatican when John Paul II and Pres. Reagan met in Fairbanks, Alaska.
Friday, Sept. 25:
Pope Francis is scheduled to address the General Assembly of the United Nations organization in New York City.
Previous popes who gave speeches at UN headquarters:
· Pope Benedict XVI / April 18, 2008
· St. Pope John Paul II / Oct. 5, 1995 and Oct. 2, 1979
· Pope Paul VI / Oct. 4, 1965
Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 26 & 27:
Pope Francis will visit the city of Philadelphia
It was 36 years ago in October 1979 that the Bishop of Rome, aka the Pope, first and last visited Philadelphia.
Papal visits to the United States:
· The most recent previous apostolic visit was by Pope Benedict XVI in 2008.
· Between 1979 and 1999, St. Pope John Paul II visited the United States 7 times.
· In 1965, Pope Paul VI was the first pope to visit the United States.
Tuesday through Friday, Sept. 22 to 25:
Philadelphia will host the World Meeting of Families 2015, and Youth Congress.
The culmination of events will be a papal visit by the visible head of the Catholic Church.
Pope Francis will celebrate 2 major events on Benjamin Franklin Parkway in Philadelphia:
· Festival of Families, Saturday, Sept. 26, 7:30 p.m.
· Mass for the conclusion of the World Meeting of Families, Sunday, Sept. 27, 4:00 p.m.
For more information about the World Meeting of Families 2015 or Pope Francis’ visit, go to:
0 Comments »
No comments yet.