JOB VACANCY: Coordinator at 3TU Centre for Ethics and Technology
Faculty/department Department of Philosophy, University of Twente Level PhD degree Maximum employment 32 hours per week (0.84 FTE) Starting Date Dec 1, 2015 Salary scale €3.324 to €4.551 per month (fulltime, scale 11 CAO-NU)
Applications due Sept 16, 2015
About the 3TU.Centre for Ethics and Technology
Science and technology are of paramount social, political and economic importance in the 21st century. They are not only drivers of economic and social developments; they shape our societies, practices and institutions. In order to come to grips with science and technology and to make adequate and appropriate political and policy decisions regarding them, we need to reflect on the ethical aspects of their development, the moral acceptability of their application, and their contribution to the quality of life and well-being. It is now widely recognized that technologies must be developed and used responsibly, as many choices are involved with major implications for health and safety, environmental quality, civil liberties, social justice, and the quality of life.
The 3TU.Centre for Ethics and Technology (www.ethicsandtechnology.eu<http://www.ethicsandtechnology.eu/>) is a cooperation of the philosophy departments of the three technical universities in the Netherlands (Delft and Eindhoven Universities of Technology and the University of Twente). The bundling of forces in the field of ethics and technology in the 3TU.Centre for Ethics and Technology accommodates the increasing need for balanced, high quality and comprehensive reflection and judgment on moral, political and policy issues associated with science and technology.
The 3TU.Centre for Ethics and Technology is one of the eight Centres of Excellence of the 3TU.Federation (http://www.3tu.nl/en/). It currently comprises more than sixty researchers. It has a PhD programme with currently 15 PhD students enrolled. The Centre has a Scientific Director, Managing Director and Coordinator, joinly comprising the Daily Board of the Centre, a Management Team, consisting of two representatives of each of the three philosophy departments, and a Board of Deans, consisting of the deans of the respective faculties. The philosophy department of the Universityof Twente is responsible for the daily management of the research centre and houses the Daily Board.
Together with the Scientific Director and the Managing Director, the coordinator(who also carries the title Assistant Director) forms the daily board of the Centre.
The primary task of the coordinator is to coordinate the activities of the 3TU.Centre for Ethics and Technology and the Centre’s PhD programme. The coordinator carries out the daily practical management of Centre, and works in close consultation with the Scientific Director and the Managing Director of the Centre. The coordinator is responsible for implementing the policy as outlined by the daily board. This includes the following tasks:
– Daily management of the Centre, preparing meetings with the Centre’s Management Team and Board; coordination with other Centres of Excellence of the 3TU.Federation; communication with the secretary of the 3TU.Federation.
– Coordination of the PhD programme, which includes course organization, administration, and evaluation; coordination with other Dutch graduate schools; evaluation of the graduate programme in relation to funding organizations; promotion of the graduate school and recruitment of new PhD students.
– Organization of 3TU.Ethics events, including the annual research day, workshops, lectures, and conferences.
– Coordination with international partner institutions in ethics and philosophy (among others, The Oxford Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics, Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm, The Centre for Applied Philosophy and Public Ethics (CAPPE) in Australia).
– Promotion of the Centre’s visibility and development and execution of communication plan, which includes website maintenance, promotion of the Centre on electronic mailing lists, developing outreach materials.
– Finances, which include the administration of budget requests and declarations, support with attracting external money from funding organizations, coordination joint research proposals (KP7, Horizon2020, NWO).
Your office will be located at the University of Twente, where the daily board meetings will also take place. If at any point in the future the directorate of the Centre were to move to one of the other two universities, your office will move there as well.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, results-oriented, and proactive colleague. Requirements:
– PhD in philosophy (or related discipline), with an interest in technology and engineering and ethical aspects of technology. We will also consider outstanding candidates without a PhD.
– Excellent social and organizational skills, professional disposition, responsible, accurate, independent, and a positive attitude.
– Ability to communicate effectively in English. Mastery of Dutch is a pro.
– Managerial experience is a pro.
– Knowledge of the Dutch university system is a pro
We offer an appointment for a period of two years, with the possibility of renewal, depending on performance and availability of funds. The preferred starting date is December 1st. The appointment initially offered is for 32 hours a week (0,84fte). Depending on your expertise and interests, we may be able to add to this a 0,1 research or teaching appointment and/or support you in attracting research funding. The gross monthly salary is between € 3.324 and €4.551 (fulltime, scale 11 CAO-NU), and the annual (full-time) salary is between € 46.389 and € 63.513. The University of Twente has excellent terms of employment.
Information and application
Further information about the Centre can be found on the website, www.ethicsandtechnology.eu<http://www.ethicsandtechnology.eu/>. For questions about the vacancy, please contact Prof. dr. Philip Brey, Scientific Director of the Centre (firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:email@example.com>).
Your application, including your CV and a letter of application, should be sent no later than September 16th, 2015. Applications should be uploaded via www.utwente.nl/vacatures/en<http://www.utwente.nl/vacatures/en> (using the button “apply here”). A limited number of suitable candidates will be invited for a job interview (Skype is a possibility). Interviews will take place in the week of September 20th.
0 Comments »
No comments yet.