Did you guess that the meanings of these slang terms from The Concise New Partridge Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English had a Veterans’ Day theme? Here are the definitions:
- Blisterfoot: noun an infantry soldier.
- Eggbeater: noun a single-rotor helicopter. Coined well before the war in Korea, but used extensively by US forces in Korea.
- Moonbeam: noun a flashlight.
- One of the original twelve: noun an extremely high-ranking officer. Us naval aviator usage.
- Red-legs : noun the artillery. From the red stripes on the trousers of Union artillerymen during the US Civil War.
Research Support Librarian
0 Comments »
No comments yet.